Here are Some Pictures From Musicians Home!

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Writing a Song


By Don Bob Bush



I'm sure that everybody has their own method they use to create a song and I think you should use what ever works the best for you but I am still going to tell you what works the best for me, hehehe…They say that you can’t really sing the blues until you have lived the blues. Well in a way that is true…Most all of the songs that I have written I have done so with a heavy heart and when I was going through pain. Now don’t get me wrong I’m not saying that you can’t write a song unless you have gone through pain but you sure as hell understand the feeling and presents of a blues song when you have. This is how I go about writing a song… First of all I need to be in the right frame of mind and usually alone. I need a few things to get started. I round up a cassette recorder and a pencil and notepad. Then I sit down and write down what the general idea of what my new song is going to be about. Okay now is when it gets interesting…LOL I just start brainstorming on a good hook ,Very important to get the hook right! You have to get your creative juices flowing because after you nail down your hook you have to build off of that and create the rest of your song. Turn on your recorder and start singing and trying to find the right combination of words that fit what you are trying to say in your song…just leave the recorder running and go for it. I can’t tell you how many times I have been driving to work in the morning and was working on a hook for a new song I was writing and got it sounding pretty good so when I get to work I quick write down the words and by the time I got home to a recorder I could still remember the words but I lost the feeling of the song that felt so good that morning…a recorder is important for me anyway. A lot of times I don’t even pick up a guitar until I have a good start for my new song on paper and on a cassette… Then from that point on it is kind of like building a house one brick at a time and with a song, one line at a time until you are happy with the general rough cut. Once you have that it is just a matter of singing the song over and over until you work out the kinks. Then take it to your band and work on a good arrangement…lead parts intros, endings and dynamic’s and so on…There you have it that is how I do it. It is important to realize that every song is Not going to be a hit but to keep on writing and keep on trying to get it right… and to always write from your heart! Thanks for reading my ideas :-)


=Don Bob Bush=
Posted at Musicians Home
http://musicians-home.ning.com


1 comment:

  1. Dude,found your blog via http://musicians-home.ning.com/ and it is awesome.You have done a great job creating it.10 stars! Can we exchange links?

    ReplyDelete